Click here for an Adobe Acrobat version
of this résumé.
of Science in Historic Preservation
University of Oregon, Eugene, 2006
title: Oregon’s Cast-Iron Storefronts
Courses include fundamentals of preservation, historic survey &
inventory techniques, legal issues in preservation, preservation
planning, recording historic structures, historic masonry,
photographing buildings, National Register nomination, research
methods, land use planning, exhibit planning, museology and
architectural history. Graduate
level architecture courses taken include three design studios,
architectural computer graphics, building construction, and
environmental control systems.
of Arts in Anthropology
of California, Santa Barbara, 1991
on Cultural Anthropology with areas of interest in Chinese and Native
2001 – present
July 2007 - January 2008
Historic Preservation Northwest (HPNW)
1116 11th Avenue SW, Albany, OR 97321
Most work revolves around historic resource inventories which
involve digital photo simulations, mapping, database management, and
Project participation includes:
2001 - present
• Section 106 documentation for cellular antenna installations in Oregon and Washington.
As of 2015 this represents historic resource surveys for over 500 sites.
• In progress: Historic resource survey and draft National Register Multiple Property Document for the City of Dallas.
• Cemetery preservation workshop for the Eugene Masonic Cemetery Association.
• Cemetery preservation workshop for the Corvallis IOOF Cemetery and the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries.
• Repaired 29 grave markers for the St. Helens Masonic Cemetery.
• Repaired 23 grave markers for the Eugene Pioneer Cemetery.
• Repaired 121 grave markers for the Brookside Cemetery in Dayton.
• Co-wrote an assessment report for the c. 1875 Plunkett House in Kings Valley.
• Co-wrote an assessment report for the Watson-Price House (1852) and Barn (1848) in Kings Valley.
• 10-year historic preservation plan for the pioneer era Brookside Cemetery for the City of Dayton, Oregon. Project included site mapping, an inventory of monuments, and repairs for 19 markers.
• Resurvey of the Original Town Plat of Forest Grove, Oregon, and updated the Forest Grove Historic Context Statement through the Atomic Age.
• National Register Historic District Nomination for the Covington Electrical Substation for the Bonneville Power Administration.
• Preservation Plan for the City of Forest Grove, project lead.
• National Register Nomination for the Andrew Jackson and Sarah Jane Masters House in
Aloha, for the City of Hillsboro's Parks & Recreation Department.
• National Register Nomination for the Malcolm McDonald House in Orenco, for the
City of Hillsboro's Parks & Recreation Department.
• Historic Structures Report and Restoration Plan for the Knotts-Owens Farmhouse in
Corvallis, for Corvallis Parks & Recreation.
• Mitigation report for the City of Springfield recording the history and character defining
architectural features of the Jenkins House.
• Restoration Plan for the Commander's House (1856-57) at Fort Hoskins.
• Survey of 353 resources in the Sehome Neighborhood of Bellingham, WA with an
analysis of the area's history and National Register potential.
• Condition assessment report for the Hebo Lake Community Kitchen (1936), a CCC log
• Reconnaissance level survey of post-WWII subdivisions in East Portland, OR
• Reconnaissance level survey of 473 structures in Glenwood, OR
• Three National Register Nominations: Cissna, York and South Hill Districts in
• Historic Resource Survey in Bellingham, WA (2167 properties)
• On-call consulting for Parametrix, Columbia River Crossings historic resource survey
• Historic Structures Report, A.T. Smith House, Forest Grove, OR
• Draft National Register Historic District, Silverton, OR
• Condition Assessment Report, Perrydale Depot, Polk County, OR
• Condition Assessment Report, Monroe Depot, Benton County, OR
• Historic Resource Survey in Albany including GIS
• Book: A History of Corvallis High School
• Eugene River Road Area Historic Context Statement
• City of Forest Grove Reconnaissance Survey
• Eugene Historic Context Statement Eugene Modernism 1935-65
• Oregon City McLoughlin District Survey, including GIS
• Corvallis Historic Resource Survey including GIS
2001 - June 2002
230 SW 6th Street, Corvallis, OR 97333
On-call consulting for the Columbia River Crossings project. Primary
work involves a historic resource survey of approximately 900
properties in Vancouver, WA.
1997 - August 1999
Graduate Administrative Fellow
University of Oregon, Historic Preservation Program
Pacific Hall 234, 5233 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403
primary duty of the Historic Preservation Technical GAF was to
maintain and update the Program’s website.
I gave the site a complete overhaul with new structure,
expanded content, and updated images.
1997 - July 1998
Office Assistant & Gift-Shop Manager
(starting Jan. 1997)
Membership & Public
Relations Coordinator (starting Oct. 1998)
Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation
123 Canon Perdido, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
in any non-profit agency requires flexibility.
In addition to prosaically answering the telephones, I was also
involved in office management, research, archaeology, collections
management, printing and publications, event planning, promotion, and
many other aspects of daily operations.
1996 - August 1997
Shipping Manager & Assistant
Channel Crossings Nautical Charts
125 Harbor Way #21, Santa Barbara, CA 93109
in the production of a chart of San Pedro Channel & Los Angeles.
Began initial research and design for another of San Diego Bay.
1995 -March 1997
Karpeles Manuscript Library and Museum
21 W. Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
KML&M consists of a collection of 1,000,000 original documents
owned by David Karpeles. Duties
involved database maintenance, employee training, events management,
and visitor relations.
1995 -March 1997
Volunteer Coordinator & Assistant
Santa Barbara Therapeutic Riding Academy
P.O. Box 31016, Santa Barbara, CA 93130
trained and managed volunteers, assisted in the planning and
implementation of a large annual fundraiser, and filled-in for
accredited riding instructors during their absences.
1989 - Spring 1991
1137 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
it has since fallen victim to the chain store wars, during my time
there the Earthling was one of the largest and busiest independent
bookstores in California. The
store and its employees strived to be on the forefront of active
retailing with book signings, lectures and presentations.
While my duties included customer assistance, I was also
responsible for shaping the store’s image through displays which
were frequently connected to community events and arranging for local
artists to exhibit their works in the store.
Store Assistant, Special Exhibit Store
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93109
museum store prided itself on supporting the growing folk art boom.
As such it operated like a gallery with featured artists.
Working in sales and displays required specific knowledge of
the artists, their traditions and technologies.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Lovett Award, "Cast-Iron Storefronts and the Foundries of
Albany, Oregon," Marion Dean Ross Chapter of the Society of
Architectural Historians, 2006.
Scholars Program, National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2005.
a There, Here in Albany," ASHP
Journal 19 (Spring 2006): 30-32.
Bernadette and David Pinyerd. A History of Corvallis High School.
Corvallis, OR: Corvallis School District 4J, 2005.
President, Monteith Historical Society
Secretary, Pacific Northwest Chapter Society of
Photoshop, Illustrator, Go Live, PageMaker
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
Raiser’s Edge (fund raising)
in German and English
French, Spanish and Japanese
Preservation Week 2000 in Eugene.
Students for Historic Preservation Treasurer, Winter 2000 - Spring
1998-99, courses in computer aided & manual drafting.
Santa Barbara Historic Society & Trust for Historic
Adult Education 1996, course in document conservation.
Adult Education 1994-95, courses in Interior Design, Historic